Thursday, 22 September 2011

Week 9 Task 1

Essay Plan


My essay topic is: Does the extensive use of computer/video games have an adverse impact on the health of young people. What are the most recent papers? Clarify what both sides of the argument claim and only then offer your reasoned opinion based on facts.

One of the reasons why I chose the topic was because I was interested in what this means for today's youth. With all the varieties of high tech computer and video games, accessible to kids now, it makes me wonder if any still appreciate old fashioned outdoor fun, such as 'tip', 'bull rush’,’ spotlight', or '123 home'.

I have chosen to argue that the extensive use of computer/video games have a negative effect on the health of young people. 

I read that child obesity in Australia, increased at an alarming from being  4 per cent in 1901 to more than 30 per cent in 2003 (www.theage.com.au). Child obesity is still on the increase although it is now at a slower rate. The difference between the numbers in 1995 and 2008 aren't statistically significant (www.abs.gov.au). 

This makes me wonder if the advances in technology, such as the rise of accessible video games, are partially responsible for these drastic changes in children’s health.   

Anyway, obesity isn't the only angle I'm going to focus on in this essay but it is one of the major ones.

References 
Stark Jill 2007, Child obesity rate is 'likely to double', The Age, viewed 22/09/2011

Australian Bureau of Statistics 2009, Children who are overweight or obese, viewed 22/09/2011




No comments:

Post a Comment